Sunday, October 7, 2012

Whom to Serve? God or Money?

Mat 6:24  "No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money. NIV

The Bible has a lot to say about money. It does not say that money is evil, but it does say the the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil (1 Tim 6:10). If we love money we are apt to focus on accumulating and hoarding it, rather than using it to do worthwhile things.

Even though I've been in a wheelchair since childhood due to polio, with limited breathing, strength, and stamina, I've worked as much as I could. This year colon cancer, a heart attack, and other health problems have further limited my ability to work.

 Nevertheless, I still spend much of my time online seeking to earn modest sums of money. It wasn't amounting to much, but it was taking up quite a bit of the time when I used my computer to be online. I was attempting to find a way to earn the kind of income I had when I was able to serve customers around town as an AVON representative.

  Am I spending the time I have appropriately? Which would serve God better: my earning small amounts of money online and sharing it with my church, or using my writing and teaching abilities to share with others what I learn from Scripture?

 My health problems have landed me in the hospital repeatedly this year, and may continue to do so. I just turned 63, and it's unlikely I'll ever be able to hold a well paying job that involves a significant amount of work time. So how should I spend the time God gives me that I can be on the computer?

 I'm thinking that I should blog more. Still spend some time seeking to earn money online, but do more blogging about things that involve growing in understanding about what God has to say to us in the Bible.

God is more important than money. Money is useful and can help us do some things. But God is everlasting. I think I should seek to serve Him the best I can rather than just spending a lot of time trying to earn a bit more money.

Thank you for taking the time to read this blog post.

2 comments:

  1. You could kill 2 birds with one stone.. you could put a donate button on your blog. ~Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughtful suggestion, Rebekah. I will consider that. I have put a search box ad on this blog that could provide commissions if people use it to shop and then purchase anything.

      Delete