Monday, October 8, 2012

How Well Do We Use Our Gifts?

Rom 12:6-8  We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully. NIV

In the letter Paul wrote to the Christians in Rome, which is now read by Christians everywhere, he told them that we have different gifts. Not everybody has the same gift or collection of gifts. But we all do have gifts. Whatever gift or gifts we have been given, we are expected to use them.

My wife gave me a Kindle electronic book reader this year, and I enjoy using it to read the Bible and other books. If I had taken the Kindle, put it on a bookshelf, and let it collect dust, my wife would have been disappointed. It would show I didn't care much for the gift she'd given me.

Using a gift demonstrates that we appreciate what was given and the person who gave it to us. If God has given us gifts, then neglecting them must surely grieve Him.

Nobody knows us as well as God. Unlike some friends or family members, He knows exactly what gifts are right for us. He doesn't make mistakes when if comes to gift giving.

Therefore let us, you and me, use the gifts God gives us. Let us use them wholeheartedly. Let us use the gifts generously, diligently, and cheerfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment