Thursday, October 11, 2012

How Should Husbands Love Their Wives?

Eph 5:28-30  In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church, because we are members of his body. ESV

This passage of Scripture is important to me because I am a husband, and I should know how God wants me to relate to my wife. We husbands don't always do a good job of expressing love to our wives. So God inspired this portion of the Bible so that we might have a better idea of what should be involved in loving our wives.

I'm to love my wife as my own body. When it comes to my body I want it to feel good. If my body is hungry I want to eat something that will satisfy that hunger. If at all possible I want that food to taste good to me. Not what somebody else says is tasty, but what tastes good to me.

Therefore, when it comes to loving my wife I should strive to discover what will satisfy her hunger and appeal to her tastes. That should be true in regards to food and everything else in her life

 Today my wife and I were at a mall to do some shopping and have lunch. We took our time to browse and purchase some clothing items, a jar of preserves, and have lunch together at a restaurant we both like. In one store we saw a Kinkade calendar for next year that included one of his pictures that used to be displayed in a gallery at a mall she frequently visited when she lived in California. She loved that picture and so instead of getting a Spider Man calendar (that was also in the store today) I bought the Kinkade calendar.

Buying the calendar for my wife was not a big thing. But the more I learn about what pleases my wife, and the better I get at doing that, the happier she will be. And the happier she becomes, the happier I become. Indeed, he who loves his wife, loves himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment