Sunday, December 9, 2012

What Do We Give to Jesus?

If you have been following this blog recently you know that I've been sharing Christmas hymns and songs in my posts. Today I'll do the same, but not a hymn or song telling actual details of that amazing time when Jesus was born. Instead I'll share the "Little Drummer Boy" song, even though no such boy is ever mentioned in the Bible.

The birth of Jesus was extraordinary. Angels foretold and then proclaimed the event when it took place. Wise men were led by a star from the east, bearing expensive gifts to honor the one who they understood to be the new king of the Jews.

Jesus, the Son of God, had been born as a baby so that He could grow up, teach great things, demonstrate His diety in many ways, and then die on the Cross as a sacrifice to atone for our sins. He did what we could not do for ourselves. He is worthy of our thankfulness. He is worthy of anything we can do for Him to show our appreciation.

I guess that's why I mist up when I hear the Little Drummer Boy song. The little boy knew he was poor. He had no gift to give. But he wanted to do something. So he did what he could, he played his drum for the baby Jesus.

Jesus deserves whatever good thing we can do for Him. Maybe we can only do a little. Maybe we can do a lot. But we should not hold back. We should do whatever we can do.

But how can we do things for Jesus, now that He has resurrected from the dead and ascended back to Heaven. You'll find the answer to that question in a teaching Jesus gave that is recorded in Matthew 25:
"And the King will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.'" Mat 25:40 ESV

What are we giving to Jesus today? What are we giving and doing for those He calls His brothers? Is it our best? Let's think about it as we celebrate His birth, and enjoy the songs we sing this time of year.

Below is a video of the song about an imaginary boy who did what he could for Jesus. I appreicate Katherine K. Davis, Henry Onorati and Harry Simeone for having composed the words and music for The Little Drummer Boy in 1958.It reminds me that I need to do what I am able to do for Jesus. I need to give Him the best I can give Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment