Sunday, February 24, 2013

May I Only Teach Sound Doctrine

Titus 2:1  But as for you, teach what accords with sound doctrine. ESV

 I love the Word of God. Reading it changed my life, for I came to believe in Jesus as Savior and Lord when I finally read a New Testament that had been lying around my house for I don't know how many years.

I also love hearing good sound Bible teaching and preaching that helps me understand the Word of God better, or be reminded of things in it that I ought to ponder.

 I also like teaching from Scripture. For several years it was my privilege to teach an adult Sunday School school class during the months of June and September. Almost always I would teach on a book of the Bible, such as the epistle to the Ephesians or the gospel of John.

Then last year health problems kept me from teaching Sunday School. So I took to writing blog posts based on Scripture. I wasn't always steadfast in keeping up with the writing of posts. There weren't very many people who were reading the posts. My health had its ups and downs, including more stays in the hospital.

But lately I've been feeling better, and I've been trying to write worthwhile blog posts from Scripture on a more regular basis.

After I wrote the recent blog post about how the name of our church was changed to include the word "Bible", I offered the link to that post to be shared with those on the email prayer chain that our church sends out.

More people read that blog post than had generally been in one of the adult Sunday School classes that I taught. People also commented on it on Facebook, which I appreciated because I do like to learn from others as well as to share what I learn.

If God wants me to continue to teach, perhaps this blog is the way He would have me do it at the present time. I've shared this thought with others, and one of the elders and our pastor agree that this may well be how God would have me use the gift of teaching while I'm not able to lead a class.

I ask that you pray for me. If I'm to teach either in Sunday School or via this blog, I want what I teach to be sound Biblical doctrine. I want to take great care to heed the words Paul wrote to Timothy: "Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth." (2 Timothy 2:15) ESV


No comments:

Post a Comment