Thursday, July 10, 2014

What Kind of Rut Are You In?

Are you in a rut? That question is generally used in a negative way. It conveys the idea that you are doing the same thing over and over such that you are stuck doing it, locked into it. That sure sounds boring, doesn't it?

What is a rut? Well, if you are on a road that has ruts in it, they were most likely formed by wheels going down that road for years, eventually forming the grooves. I used to spend summers at the place my grandparents had on Cape Cod and there was a long driveway which went from the road, around the house, and back to the road. It was an old piece of property and the ruts in that driveway were certainly formed by wagon wheels. The cars my grandparents family used on that driveway made those ruts deeper and harder.

Ruts can tend to keep a wagon or other vehicle restricted to going in the direction of the ruts, rather than to one side or the other. Deep ruts in a road can make it difficult to turn and go off in some other way. Of course if the direction of the ruts leads to where you want to go then that can be a good thing. You are less apt to go off and end up in the wrong place.

Are you in a rut that isn't good for you? Or are you in a rut that helps you get to where you ought to be, and where God wants you to be? What kind of a rut are you in?  Hopefully you are in a rut that helps you to be what God wants you to be, to develop the character He wants you to have.

Psalm 119:9 has something to say about this. It starts with a question: "How can a young man keep his way pure?"  The word translated "way" is the Hebrew word for rut. So there is a rut that we should want to be in. A rut that can help us have the pure way of living that pleases God. Being in God's Word can help us get in and stay in that rut.
Psalms 119:9-16  Beth. How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word.  (10)  With my whole heart I seek you; let me not wander from your commandments!  (11)  I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.  (12)  Blessed are you, O LORD; teach me your statutes!  (13)  With my lips I declare all the rules of your mouth.  (14)  In the way of your testimonies I delight as much as in all riches.  (15)  I will meditate on your precepts and fix my eyes on your ways.  (16)  I will delight in your statutes; I will not forget your word. ESV

No comments:

Post a Comment