Friday, March 4, 2011

What's Our Attitude Toward the Boss?

Rom 1:21  For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. NIV

When I was young I simply believed things about God that others in my family believed. Then as a young teen I believed that science had all the important answers. I lost interest in God. But when I learned that most scientists had concluded that the Universe had a beginning I had to wonder what caused it to begin.

I even surmised that whatever it was that caused the Universe to begin had to be greater that the sum of everything in the Universe, including people who could think about such things.

Many people suggest we evolved from apes, who evolved from lizards, who evolved from germs, who evolved from various molecules that happened to be lying around sometime after a big bang of some sort.

In my experience, most big bangs cause big messes, not intricately functioning creations. Somehow I don't think the computer I'm writing this blog post on became assembled during an explosion at the factory from which it was shipped  to my home. I appreciate the workers who designed, assembled and transported my computer so I could have use of it.

After I came to believe that there was a Creator God I wanted to know more. Eventually I came across a New Testament and read about the God who made everything that has been made..What I read made sense to me. I certainly didn't understand everything but if I could be a personal living creature who can understand and be aware of some things, then it seemed likely that the Creator determined that is how things should be.

If there is a Creator responsible for my existing, and my existing in this Universe, then it only seems right that I should be thankful for the Creator. And if that Creator makes it possible for me to know more about the One who designed and made everything, then I certainly ought to take the time to seek to know more.

I also should take the time to be thankful because nothing would be possible without the Creator having created.

If I reject the basics of acknowledging and being thankful to the Creator, and continue in that rejection, then I will make excuses for myself. I can imagine that the only things that are important are what I decide are important. I can think that my own personal values and morals are all I have to live by.

The Creator is not obligated to show us how stupid our deluded thinking is right at this particular moment. Or even tomorrow. Or even in the course of our natural lifetime.

The Creator is the Boss. If we reject the little things about Himself that He reveals in His Creation, He is just in withholding additional revelations about Himself. If we prefer darkness and futility then He can allow us to wallow and sink more deeply into them.

He once came and made Himself known in the flesh, healing the sick, raising the dead, teaching wondrous truths...and He was rejected and nailed to a cross.

I want to have the right attitude toward the Boss. I want to learn all that Jesus wants me to know. I want my thinking to become clear and purposeful. I want my motives to be pure and bright with the light of God's truth. I want to know what my Boss wants me to know, do what He wants me to do, and to be ever more thankful for Who He Is, What He has Done, and what He teaches me.

No comments:

Post a Comment